Monday, July 15, 2013

Israel's Fauna

Eurasian Jay // White Spectacled Bulbul
Hooded Crow // Hoopoe (Israel's National Bird)
These guys were all seen while walking around Jerusalem.

One of the things I love most about traveling is seeing the unique flora and fauna of a place. When I was in Israel, I was stunned by how many interesting birds I saw. Instead of the pigeons and sparrows I usually see in cities, I saw all the birds in the picture above in Jerusalem. I was also lucky to be there at the time of year when the common swallow returns to nest at the western wall. There were also a lot of palm doves. Apparently, Israel is known be a great place for bird-watching!
Tristram's Starling
(Masada)
This guy was seen at Masada. There was actually a flock of them just hanging out on the rocks letting people take pictures of them. They seemed to be as curious about us as we were about them.
Cats, Jaffa // Hyrax, Beit She'an
Camels, Hills // Camel, Gas Station
I saw the hyrax at Beit She'an. They are also known as "rock rabbits"which is quite the apt nickname; their appearance belies their agility. Other animals I saw that I didn't get pictures of: ibex on the side of the road along the Dead Sea, donkeys roaming in date tree groves, and goats in Bedouin camps in the Judean hills.

2 comments:

  1. A Hoopoe! Oh my gosh I have seen pictures of those and have ALWAYS wanted to see one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these creatures! And these pictures are fantastic. I really hope I get to visit the Holy Land one day. I see you captured a pack of kitties! My mom was there last year and said they saw cats all over.

    ReplyDelete

Aww! You're leaving me a message!